NASSAU, Bahamas - Charlotte and Buffalo are headed to the Bahamas Bowl on Dec. 20.
The teams made the announcement on Sunday, one week before most other schools find out their bowl destination.
"Well deserved. It’s been a long time coming for the program," UNCC senior Caleb Lloyd said.
"I was like, 'Oh my gosh, they did it.' I’m very excited, very proud," UNCC freshman Abby Olvera said.
The Bahamas Bowl matchup is typically announced earlier because of the extra time that teams need to make arrangements for the international trip.
Someone will be winning a bowl game for the first time. Charlotte is making its first bowl appearance and Buffalo is 0-3 in its previous postseason trips.
Both teams are taking 7-5 records into the game. It will also be the first matchup between the schools.
Most other bowl matchups will be revealed on Dec. 8. There are 40 bowl games for 78 FBS teams, including the College Football Playoff.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Carolina Panthers' 4-game skid leaves questions about Rivera's future
- Suspect accused of killing man outside Charlotte apartments to face judge
- CEO of Charlotte Center City Partners on plans for ‘iconic' bridge to link uptown, South End
- FORECAST: Schools closed as winter weather moves into High Country
- 'We're going to call her Sky': Mother delivers baby girl at Charlotte airport
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.