FRIPP ISLAND, S.C. — Officials at a South Carolina resort are looking for the people who harassed an 11-foot alligator by throwing carrots at him, calling the action "a new level of stupid."
The Fripp Island Resort Activity Center posted about the harassment Friday on its Facebook page.
The Island Packet in Hilton Head reports that Fripp Island naturalist Jessica Miller says the people were lucky because the large alligator didn't respond and later slid back into the water
The Facebook post says Fripp Island has a description of the people who threw carrots. The fine is $200 per carrot thrown.
Violators could also face up to 30 days in jail for feeding alligators if convicted, according to South Carolina state law.
Wildlife experts say that most attacks occur when humans feed, poke or swim near alligators.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- NC fire chief on way to accept award killed in I-40 crash near Statesville
- Tennessee man on run after confessing to killing mom, friend on Facebook
- 4 rare rubies found in North Carolina could fetch millions
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- SC resort says throwing carrots at gator 'a new level of stupid'
- Fourth teen charged after Charlotte mother fatally shot during robbery