ABBEVILLE, S.C. - Joe Biden has made his South Carolina presidential bid official.
The former vice president filed his paperwork as a candidate in next year's Democratic primary during a stop Friday at a soul food restaurant in Abbeville.
Polls have generally shown Biden leading his rivals in South Carolina, where he maintains high popularity among the heavily black Democratic electorate.
Biden joins Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, on the ballot for the Feb. 29 primary.
Several candidates including Kamala Harris, author Marianne Williamson and former tech executive Andrew Yang are campaigning in the state this weekend, and officials say some could be filing their paperwork.
The filing deadline is Dec. 4.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Mom arrested months after 3-year-old falls to his death at Charlotte airport
- Students want UNCC to fire security head due to past work at Guantanamo Bay
- School admits to letting 14-year-old girl leave with unapproved family member
- FORECAST: Clouds move in across region ahead of weekend showers
- Independence HS on lockdown due to police activity in area
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.