MURRELLS INLET, S.C. — Police say a Connecticut police officer has died from injuries he sustained while trying to break up a bar fight in South Carolina.
South Windsor Police say 41-year-old Matthew Mainieri was a 20-year veteran of the department. The Hartford Courant reports Mainieri was attempting to break up the fight when he sustained a fatal blow to the head.
According to the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office, Todd sucker punched Sgt. Mainieri around 12:30 a.m. during an altercation outside Uncle Tito's in Murrells Inlet.
Mainieri was off-duty at the time and died Sunday from his injuries.
County sheriffs in South Carolina charged 21-year-old Kelton Jess Todd in the assault. He was taken to a local jail. It's unclear whether he's represented by an attorney who could comment.
Police are still investigating and may add further charges.
Over his two-decade career, Mainieri received his department's Medal of Valor, the Chief's Award and multiple certificates of commendation.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 2 dead, multiple injured in two car crash in south Charlotte
- 'It's a shock to everybody': Community grieves after man shot at busy intersection
- York County woman admits to poisoning husband with eye drops
- Cleveland Co. deputy 'ready to be back' weeks after shot in line of duty
- Pizza delivery driver's car stolen, given ticket for leaving car running