CHARLOTTE, N.C. - All surgical procedures come with risks and for the tiniest of patients, those risks are even greater.
Lauren and Jeremy Swanson from Newton are proud new parents of identical twin girls.
But, their journey came with challenges after a routine ultrasound showed the Swanson's babies had something called Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome, where blood flow between the babies shifts.
"Ruby was not expected to survive," Lauren Swanson said. "The true miracle is that they both survived."
Watch the video above as Eyewitness News anchor Erica Bryant introduces us to a surgeon saving patients so tiny, they haven't even been born yet.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Customer shoots 2 teen robbers, killing one inside Charlotte 7-Eleven
- No arrests made in Charlotte's latest homicide after man shot inside apartment
- Rookie Slye kicks Panthers past Bears in preseason opener
- FORECAST: Highs continue to climb as we head into sweltering weekend
- NC woman booted from flight after complaining about vomit on seat sues for $55M
© 2019 Cox Media Group.