Police: 2nd victim dies in double shooting at McDonald's

HICKORY, N.C. — A second victim died after a double shooting at a Hickory McDonald's.

The first victim, Richelle Lail, 22, died Wednesday night and Cody Watts, 28, was hospitalized after a shooting at a McDonald’s in Hickory, police said.

Watts later died at the hospital Friday.

The shooting happened just after 6 p.m. in the parking lot of the McDonald’s along Highway 321 and Second Avenue.

Officials said Lail and Watts were managers at the restaurant and that the shooting was domestic related.

A witness told Channel 9 she was driving by when she saw a man begin shooting near the McDonald's play area.

"Oh my God, my chest is hurting,” Stephanie Hamlin said. “I was crying and I pulled over here. It's just a crazy world that we live in."

Hamlin said the two employees were getting ready to leave when the shooter quickly pulled in, got out of his car and started firing the gun.

Lail died at the scene and Watts was in critical condition Wednesday night, officials told Channel 9.

The alleged gunman, 22-year-old Eric Yount, was arrested in Lenoir a short time later and is in custody, police said.

He has been charged with murder and attempted murder and faced a judge Thursday morning.

Yount’s court appearance Thursday lasted only a few minutes and he didn't say a word or show any emotion.

More charges are pending.

Channel 9 learned that both Lail and Watts were leaving the restaurant when police said Yount pulled in, striking Watts’ white pickup truck.

Police said Watts was shot inside the truck and Lail was shot in the parking lot near the play area.

Family members told Channel 9 that Yount and Lail have two children together and that they had dated for years. However, they said the relationship had unraveled recently.

"He was solid in love with her," Yount's grandfather said. "And he cried for two days, but he didn't say he was going to kill her. He said he was going to kill himself."

Police said they have recovered what they think was the murder weapon.

Yount's grandfather told Channel 9 that he watches his grandson's children and said Yount called him after the shooting and admitted being involved.

Yount remains locked up without bond.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: