ATLANTIC BEACH, N.C. — An 11-year-old boy was bitten by a shark off the North Carolina coast, Atlantic Beach Fire Chief told ABC affiliate WCTI.
The boy, from Carteret County, was attacked while surfing Saturday afternoon. First responders were called to Fort Macon State Park around 2:34 p.m.
The boy had deep wounds to his left foot and was taken to a hospital, officials told WCTI.
The beach has not been closed and the size of the shark was undetermined, officials said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Five people injured in overnight shooting at west Charlotte bar, CMPD says
- Whitewater activities closed at Whitewater Center after deadly amoeba found
- 12-year-old girl on Go-Kart hit by 2 cars in north Charlotte dies, family says
- SC health officials report first case of sexually transmitted Zika
- 11-year-old boy bit by shark off NC coast, officials say
Cox Media Group