11 taken to hospital after carbon monoxide detected at Dilworth apartments, officials say

CHARLOTTE — Eleven people were taken to an area hospital Wednesday afternoon as Charlotte firefighters evaluated low- to mid-level carbon monoxide levels at an apartment building in Dilworth, officials said.

27 people in total were evaluated for exposure at the scene in the 1300 block of East Boulevard after the building was evacuated, firefighters tweeted.

The MEDIC mass casualty bus and several firetrucks were at the scene as Chopper 9 Skyzoom arrived.

A resident reported that a carbon monoxide alarm was going off, Charlotte Fire confirmed.

The building was being ventilated to get levels down to 0 and it was still evacuated at 8:30 p.m.

Fire officials found the source of the carbon monoxide shortly before 9 p.m. and residents returned to their apartments.

All of the patients who were evaluated had non-life-threatening injuries.

Charlotte Fire said officials will measure carbon monoxide levels until the building is safe.

Return to this story for updates.

VIDEO: Carbon Monoxide: What you need to know