CHARLOTTE — It’s been three years since beloved sandwich shop owner Scott Brooks was robbed and murdered while opening for the day.
Brooks’ Sandwich House stands at the edge of Charlotte’s NoDa neighborhood. It’s known for more than just its burgers -- its patrons and other members in the community fondly describe its owners, twin brothers David and Scott Brooks.
But three years ago, on Dec. 9, 2019, Scott was shot and killed just before 5 a.m. outside the shop on North Brevard Street. Terry Conner and Steven Staples are facing charges in the case.
In the wake of the shooting, communities in NoDa and beyond have united in support of the Brooks family. In March, David Brooks told Channel 9 how much he valued that encouragement.
“Community support has been so overwhelming,” he said. “It’s a blessing more than anything else.”
On Friday, Brooks Sandwich House posted on Facebook in Scott’s memory.
“3 years it’s been.. We truly can’t believe it. Today marks the day Scott Brooks was taken from us. Not a day goes by I don’t think about you,” the post begins.
The post fondly recounts how Scott Brooks used to sing Christmas songs. It mentions the changes that have been made to the menu, and the impact he’s had on the community even after his death.
“Be kind to people and love one another. You only get one life to live. So spend it with the people you love. You never know when life’s [gonna] take a turn,” the post reads. “Wishing you a merry Christmas Uncle Scott!”
Both Conner and Staples pleaded not guilty to their charges in the case and are expected to go to trial. The Brooks family was told to expect that trial to begin in three to five years due to backlogs in the court system.
- ‘It’s a blessing’: 1 year later, family of slain sandwich shop owner grateful for support·
- Man accused of gunning down NoDa sandwich shop owner charged for role in double homicide
- Hundreds wait in line as Brooks’ Sandwich House reopens after co-owner’s slaying
- Artist’s mural on popular NoDa sandwich shop honors slain co-owner
- More than a burger: Panthers owner, coach visit Brooks’ Sandwich House after tragedy
- CMPD releases surveillance video of suspects in NoDa sandwich shop co-owner’s slaying
- Landmark NoDa sandwich shop will reopen after tragedy, but with different hours
- Charlotte restaurateurs react after murder of Brooks’ Sandwich House co-owner
- ‘It hurts’: NoDa grieving after man murdered outside his sandwich shop
- Family, NoDa community to say final goodbyes to beloved sandwich shop co-owner
(WATCH BELOW: CMPD: Man charged in NoDa sandwich shop owner’s slaying tied to 4 other murders)
©2022 Cox Media Group