Local

Man accused of threatening CMS schools released from jail days before classes start

Man accused of threatening CMS schools released from jail days before classes start

CHARLOTTE — CMS students head back to the classroom on Tuesday, but Channel 9 learned the man accused of threatening to kill students at five different schools is now out of jail.

Investigators say Drew Owens laid out mass shooting plans for a few elementary, middle and high schools.

Some parents who spoke to us said they’re scared to send their kids to school this week.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

Community House Middle is one of the schools that came under threat, but for the last year and a half, parents didn’t have to worry because Owens was behind bars.

He posted bond Friday night around 9:30 and was released at 11:30 Saturday morning.

Not only was Owens charged with threatening schools, neighbors who live in the subdivision where he grew up are terrified. They claim that he threatened, intimidated and harassed them.

One woman spoke with us but was so worried she didn’t want her face shown.

“It’s really unnerving for some of us. We live in the area where he knows people and again it’s just not positive, it’s scary,” she said.

Owens’ bond was $200,000 secured. In May, it was reduced to $75,000 secured.

A bondsman got him out.

We’re not sure how Owens got the money to pay him, but we’ll have more details about that on Eyewitness News at 11 p.m.

0