JEFFERSON, N.C. — The Ashe County sheriff has been indicted on several charges, including obstruction of justice.
The grand jury indicted Sheriff Terry Buchanan on three counts of felony obstruction of justice and three counts of misdemeanor willful failure to discharge duties.
SBI agents arrested and processed Buchanan at the Ashe County Sheriff’s Office and he appeared before Superior Court Judge Gregory Horne and received a $25,000 unsecured bond.
Ashe County District Attorney Tom Horner filed a petition to remove Buchanan from office and Judge Horne temporarily removed the sheriff from office pending a removal hearing set for Nov. 13.
This is an ongoing investigation being conducted by the SBI and no further information has been released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- State of Emergency declared in Catawba Co. due to damage, outages
- Hangars damaged, small planes flipped as storm slams Hickory
- VIEWER VIDEO: Damage from possible tornado caught on cellphone
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Children unharmed after woman shot in hip during drive-by
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Blow Torch Crew' steals hundreds of guns from stores across Carolinas