MATTHEWS, N.C. — The school resource officer who played a key role in responding to the deadly Butler High School shooting has been named North Carolina's "School Resource Officer of the Year."
Investigators said Officer Calvin Young heard the gunshot fired that day in October, ran to the hallway, and was able to reach Bobby McKeithen within 15 to 20 seconds after the shooting.
He started performing CPR on McKeithen and called for help.
- Arrest affidavit details possible motive in deadly Butler High School shooting
- Good Samaritan takes school shooting victim's mother to hospital
- Parents march to school to get children after deadly shooting
- Students, parents recall emotional moments following school shooting
- Leaders discuss safety after deadly shooting at Matthews high school
Officials said Young immediately followed protocol to place the school on lockdown and inform other law enforcement.
Young has been an SRO for more than 20 years.
© 2020 Cox Media Group