CATAWBA COUNTY, N.C. — A Catawba County grand jury has indicted a former Newton teacher on three counts of indecent liberties with female high school students.
Kyle Kanupp is not in custody and deputies say he is cooperating with their investigation.
Kanupp worked as an assistant in-school suspension teacher and was an assistant wrestling and football coach at Fred T. Foard High School.
School officials said he was fired in May when allegations surfaced last month but parents told Channel 9 that's not enough.
"I'm just really waiting on facts to come out because prayers is all they need,” said one parent. “God will do them justice. They need to check into it -- it didn't happen when we were in there."
Deputies said they uncovered the allegations against Kanupp while investigating another teacher's inappropriate contact with students.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Portion of Concord Mills evacuated after fire reported in mall
- VIDEO: Florida mom lets snake bite baby to 'teach a lesson'
- Family members identify grandfather killed in Wadesboro shooting
- Myers Park road closed after giant tree takes down power poles, lines
- Catawba Co. teacher accused of indecent liberties with 3 female students
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
Cox Media Group