• Family holds memorial for 20-year-old mother killed in southwest Charlotte shooting

    By: DaShawn Brown


    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Loved ones honored the memory of a young woman killed in a shooting last weekend. 

    Family members released balloons for 20-year-old Tayzhah Bush on Saturday on Fairwood Avenue. 

    More than 50 people showed up, many wearing t-shirts with Bush’s picture on it.

    Her father Mitch Bush said he is hoping for some positive change in the area.

    "As a community, we need to come together and have more for the youth because there's nothing for them to do and there's no role models out so they're just running wild,” Mitch Bush said. "I just wished more people in the world were like her. It would probably be a better place."

    [RELATED: Officers investigate deadly shooting in southwest Charlotte]

    Tayzah’s murder was the first of two on the same southwest Charlotte street within a week.

    On Friday, officers were called to the area of Fairwood Avenue near South Tryon Street and said they found a man who had been shot. Decario Bethea, 24, later died at a hospital.

    Bush and another woman were shot in a west Charlotte apartment early last Sunday morning. 

    Police have made a pair of arrests in the case.

    [PHOTOS: CMPD conducting homicide investigation after 2 shot, 1 fatally in south Charlotte]

    Authorities arrested 22-year-old James Ratliff later last Sunday afternoon in connection with the shooting.

    Police said Ratliff agreed to speak with officers at police headquarters, where he was charged with murder.

    (James Ratliff)

    Authorities arrested a second suspect, Don 'Travius Jetton Henderson, early Monday morning. 

    During the investigation, officials named the 21-year-old as a suspect and issued warrants for his arrest.

    (Don 'Travius Jetton Henderson)

    Henderson was charged with murder, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, and possession of firearm by a convicted felon.


    Officials said the shooting happened just after midnight on Fairwood Avenue, where Bush was pronounced dead at the scene and another woman, whose condition is unknown, was taken to the hospital.

    (Tayzhah Bush/photo courtesy of Tayzhah's family)

    Her father, Mitch Bush, struggled to find words while speaking with Channel 9.

    “She's got other siblings, so I'm trying to stay strong for them,” said Mitch Bush, wiping tears from his eyes.

    Mitch Bush said his daughter lived in the apartment complex but not in the unit where she was found fatally shot.

    “I really don’t know for sure what happened, but I know my baby's gone,” Mitch Bush said.

    Mitch Bush said Tayzhah was a mother to two young girls, a 2-year-old and a 2-month-old.

    “On Facebook, she was just saying she was making a change for her kids,” Mitch Bush said.

    Mitch Bush said he is grieving his second loss in a matter of months. His mother died six months ago.

    “If you have kids, tell them you love them every day, because you never know when you'll see them again,” he said.

    No other information has been released at this time.

    This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.

    Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:


    Next Up: