CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A man died Sunday morning when his car struck a tractor-trailer and then crashed into a tree and a parked car on The Plaza in Charlotte.
Police said 30-year-old Richard Andrew Brandon Cox, driving a Ford Mustang, hit a 2014 Volvo tractor-trailer and continued into the front yard of a nearby home and hit the tree, and was pronounced dead around 1 a.m.
Police said excessive speed contributed to the crash. Cox was not wearing a seatbelt.
The driver of the tractor-trailer remained on scene during the initial investigation.
Police shut down The Plaza between Anderson Street and Sugar Creek Road.
The crash remains under investigation.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD investigating overnight fatal crash on the Plaza near Anderson Street
- Police: Argument over affair led to shooting at southwest Charlotte home
- Investigation underway after woman reports being hit by CMPD patrol car, officials say
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Sunday forecast outlook
- Police identify 3 connected to double murder at Salisbury park
© 2019 Cox Media Group.