CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Mecklenburg County commissioners approved a plan Tuesday night that would accelerate the creation of more greenways in Charlotte.
The Parks and Recreation Department has a goal to add 30 miles of greenways by 2023.
To reach that goal, leaders need to start five new projects next year that require $37 million extra in the budget.
“This is extremely important,” Commissioner Mark D. Jerrell said. “I will continue to say, while it may be a want in some areas, it's a need in others.”
It is part of the department's master plan to have 308 miles of greenway trails.
There have been 52 miles completed.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- New Bern teen's leg amputated after shark attack
- Authorities release footage of suspect in deadly west Charlotte gas station shooting
- North Carolina child on bicycle struck, killed by car
- FORECAST: One more day of mild temps before humidity, storm chances return
- Mooresville police chief placed on administrative leave, officials say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.