COVID-19 in the Carolinas: NC sees new record number of cases in a single day

Local South Carolina cities may consider mask mandate

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services on Wednesday reported the highest single-day increase in COVID-19 cases since the start of the pandemic.

1,843 new cases were reported on Wednesday, the eighth straight day topping 1,000 new cases.

17,660 tests were completed and 901 people remain hospitalized. That’s down seven from Tuesday.

Content Continues Below

The percent positive in the state has remained around 9% to 10% in the last week. That figure has remained roughly stable throughout the month of June (between 8% and 10%). However, DHHS Secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen has previously said she would like to see that number drop to 5%.

So far, 1,373 people have died in North Carolina after contracting COVID-19. That’s up 30 from Tuesday.

Across the state, the age group that is impacted the most is between the ages of 25 and 49.

Health officials said those in the 75 and older age group are more susceptible to coronavirus, but statewide the group represents about 6% of the cases. This age group, however, represents about 60% of coronavirus deaths across the state.

What about closer to home?

According to state health officials, Mecklenburg County has reported 11,534 cases of COVID-19 with 147 deaths.

On average, 142 patients have been hospitalized in the last week, which is an increase over the last two weeks.

Social distancing is still lower than it was before the stay-at-home order started, but there was a slight decrease in the percentage of positive tests in Mecklenburg County, which is a fairly stable 11.3%.

The latest data, maps and charts on local COVID-19 are available here on MeckNC.gov.

Gaston County leaders continue to be concerned with the rise in COVID-19 cases in the county, and are re-emphasizing the need today for residents to take this public health crisis seriously and practice the 3 Ws – Wear, Wait and Wash.

Gaston County’s total active case count reached an all-time high on Tuesday, and daily positive totals are five and six times higher than what the County experienced just six weeks ago. In addition, the County’s percentage positive rate has more than tripled – from just over 5% in mid-May to more than 17% this week.

Are people recovering?

As of Monday (this data is released only on Mondays), the state was reporting 45,538 patients were presumed to have recovered. That’s out of the 63,484 cases reported Monday across the state.

In Mecklenburg County, more than half of the 10,863 COVID-19 cases have been released from isolation.

It takes about 28 days for people who have been hospitalized because of COVID-19 to recover from the virus, according to the NCDHHS.

WEDNESDAY MORNING STORYLINES

Governor Roy Cooper is expected to address the public Wednesday at 3 p.m. For weeks, he said he would lay out the plan to reopen schools, but Tuesday night, he announced he wouldn’t do that. He did not give a reason and there is no time for when that decision will come.

>> Have questions about the coronavirus pandemic and its impact on the Carolinas? We have an entire section dedicated to coverage of the outbreak -- CLICK HERE FOR MORE.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Board of Education will hold a special meeting Wednesday at 7 p.m. to discuss the district’s next steps toward reopening schools in the fall. Last month, CMS released a survey to parents and students to gauge how they feel about remote learning and will use those responses as they fine-tune their plan.

Over 10.4 million people across the globe have been diagnosed with COVID-19, according to ABC News. Since the first cases were detected in China in December, the United States has become the worst-affected country, with more than 2.6 million diagnosed cases and at least 127,322 deaths.

Tuesday, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services reported more than 1,000 cases for the seventh straight day as the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 rose above 900 for the first time since last Wednesday.

>> We’ll bring you LIVE updates on Channel 9 Eyewitness News. Get extended coverage on the free WSOC Now app on Roku, Amazon Fire and Apple TV.

North Carolina is not the only state where cases are increasing -- infections are rising in 35 states. Tuesday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said he wouldn’t be surprised if the US began seeing 100,000 new cases daily.

If you need COVID-19 testing, Atrium has two mobile testing clinics that open at 8 a.m. One will be set up at Steele Creek AME Zion Church on Shopton Road. The other is at St. Joseph Catholic Church on St. Joseph Street in Kannapolis. Both will be open until 2 p.m.

North Carolina to test all nursing home residents, workers

North Carolina has announced plans to test all nursing home workers and residents for the coronavirus over the next two months.

Health and Human Services Secretary Mandy Cohen says the partnership with CVS Omnicare will provide one-time COVID-19 tests to about 36,000 residents and 25,000 staff in more than 400 nursing homes across the state.

A cost estimate was not immediately provided.

Nearly half of all COVID-related deaths in North Carolina to date have come from nursing homes. There has also been 123 coronavirus outbreaks in nursing homes thus far into the global pandemic, and those over the age of 75 are most vulnerable.

Coronavirus pandemic leads to national coin shortage

North Carolina GOP won’t hold in-person annual convention

The North Carolina Republican Party has canceled its annual in-person convention after the state health director recommended against holding it due to the COVID-19 transmission threat.

The convention was originally set for May in Greenville, but GOP officials delayed the event until July. Now they’ll hold a virtual-only convention to choose delegates to the Republican National Convention and complete other business.

President Donald Trump announced four weeks ago that most of the national convention would be moved out of Charlotte after Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper wouldn’t agree that the president could have a full arena for his nomination acceptance speech.