CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police have charged the driver of a pickup truck with DWI and felony death by vehicle after they said he collided with a motorcycle Sunday night, killing the rider.
The wreck happened around 9:45 p.m. on Central Avenue at Lansdale Drive.
Paramedics pronounced the motorcyclist, 47-year-old Miguel Angel Linarte Jacome dead at the scene.
Detectives told Channel 9 that the Kawasaki motorcycle was heading outbound on Central Avenue when the Chevrolet Colorado made a U-turn into its path, causing the collision.
The driver of the truck, 37-year-old Jose Rodrigo Barajas Diaz, remained at the scene and was charged with felony death by vehicle, driving while impaired, open container after consuming, no operator license, and safe movement violation.
Central Avenue was closed for hours between Rosehaven Drive and Norlan Road.
The crash remains under investigation.
Check back to wsoctv.com for updates on this developing story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Long lines at Charlotte Douglas after TSA checkpoints briefly closed
- Police identify man found fatally shot outside north Charlotte gas station
- Woman charged after 63-year-old grandmother found shot to death inside car
- FORECAST: Dry start to the workweek before snow, cold temps arrive
- 3 dead, 3 injured after car slams into tree in Lancaster County, troopers say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.