UNION COUNTY, N.C. — An arrest was made late Thursday evening after a woman was shot and killed earlier in the morning in Union County, south of Monroe.
Law enforcement was called to the 4000 block of Belk Mill Road, just off Highway 601, a few minutes after 7 a.m. for a report of a man with a gun in the area.
When authorities arrived, they found a woman who had been shot inside a red car that was parked in front of a home.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators identified her as 28-year-old Natasha Walden.
Deputies charged Brandon Hargett, 28, with her murder, and told Channel 9 that he lives at the home they were called to on Belk Mill Road.
Investigators told Channel 9 that Hargett shot and killed Walden while she was inside the car, parked in the driveway.
Walden did not live at the home.
Deputies have not said yet what led to the shooting.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Deputies: Man in custody after woman shot to death in Union County
- Flames gut building at Sugar Ski and Country Club on Sugar Mountain
- Deep divide stops effort to repeal North Carolina's 'bathroom bill'
- 911 call details wife's escape prior to deadly deputy-involved shooting
- Santa's helper charged after spraying NC family with mace
Cox Media Group