CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A doctor on a special mission visited Charlotte on Sunday.
Dr. Adel Korkor ran a 5k at McAlpine Creek Park in Southeast Charlotte – significant because it is one more step on his way to running 50 5k races in 50 states – in just 50 days.
It’s part of the Five 50-50 Run Walk Series, which Korkor founded and kicked off last weekend in Hawaii. Sunday's race in Charlotte was No. 16 on his journey.
He says part of his journey is to raise awareness about mental health issues.
“Running and exercising has helped my mental health situation,” Korkor said. “I have panic disorder. I felt that it was important to enforce the role of exercise in mental health by establishing this program.”
Korkor says developing an exercise routine has helped “immensely” in combating his panic disorder symptoms.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Machete-wielding man attacks hikers on Appalachian Trail, leaving one dead
- CMPD: 3 in custody after man stabbed during armed robbery in uptown
- Two cars hit by bullets on I-85, including one with 3 children inside
- FORECAST: Gorgeous pattern takes shape after weekend storms
- Savannah police officer from Charlotte shot, killed investigating robbery
© 2019 Cox Media Group.