WYTHE COUNTY, Va. - A machete-wielding man attacked a pack of hikers along the Appalachian Trail Saturday, leaving one badly injured and the other dead, investigators said.
Four hikers were together when Jordan, from Massachusetts, allegedly attacked the group. Two fled north along the trail and two fled south, authorities said.
Investigators said a woman, who was injured and bleeding, walked 6 miles before finding other hikers and calling for help.
Law enforcement could not comment on the condition of the male victim.
There is no word yet on a motive for the attack in Virginia.
Jordan was also arrested last month in Tennessee and charged with threatening people on the Appalachian Trail there with an axe.
He received probation in that case and was ordered to pay fines.
Federal charges are expected to be filed against Jordan on Monday. He’s also scheduled for a first court appearance in U.S. District Court in Abingdon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Machete-wielding man attacks hikers on Appalachian Trail, leaving one dead
- CMPD: 3 in custody after man stabbed during armed robbery in uptown
- Two cars hit by bullets on I-85, including one with 3 children inside
- FORECAST: Gorgeous pattern takes shape after weekend storms
- Savannah police officer from Charlotte shot, killed investigating robbery
© 2019 Cox Media Group.