Family: Man killed in northwest Charlotte house fire fell asleep with food on stove

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — One person died in a northwest Charlotte house fire Saturday morning, fire officials said.

Firefighters put out the fire in the 9400 block of Northwoods Forest Drive just after 3 a.m. Donavin Durant died from injuries he suffered in the fire.

(Donavin Durant)

Investigators said the fire was started by food he left cooking on the stove. Durant 's family said he fell asleep.

“I know how, but I haven't processed how or what we could've done differently, because at this point in time, there's really nothing we can do,” said Leander Gaymon, Durant’s cousin. “It’s just come together as a family and move forward.”

Fire officials estimate about $95,000 worth of damages.

The family said Durant lived in Charlotte for more than decade, but he grew up in Sumter, South Carolina.

Gaymon said Durant loved his sports teams, and that the two of them wanted to visit every NFL stadium.

“Was known throughout the family, throughout the community, as just that guy when he comes in, it's time to have fun,” Gaymon said,

Overnight, a neighbor says he heard a loud boom.

When he walked to the window to see what had happened, he saw flames from the home.

“This young man lost his life right next to mine,” neighbor Jermaine Miller said.

Gaymon said in time, the family will be OK, too.

“We'll pray and get through this one together as a family,” Gaymon said.