Local

Christmas lights blamed for fire that destroyed Huntersville home, fire marshal says

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — Fire investigators said Christmas lights were to blame after flames destroyed a couple’s home early Wednesday in Huntersville.

Dozens of firefighters were called around 3 a.m. to the house on Cascade Dream Court, near Hopewell High School in the Tanner’s Creek neighborhood. Channel 9 crews could see flames coming from the home when they arrived at the scene.

Two people were inside the house when the fire started but the husband and wife were not hurt. A dog was also able to escape.

Channel 9 reporter Gina Esposito spoke with the homeowner, who said he saw an orange glow in the hallway and then woke up his wife and they got out safely.

“We’re so thankful that the resident got up to use the restroom and saw a glow and looked out the window and realized he had a fire,” said Bill Suthard with the Huntersville Fire Department. “By the time they went down the stairs, they realized the front window failed and they ended up escaping through the garage.”

Several vehicles parked in the driveway were also heavily damaged but firefighters managed to save four motorcycles from the garage.

Suthard said the homeowner, who is an avid motorcyclist, was grateful firefighters were able to salvage the bikes, among other precious items.

“He was recently given a Bible for his birthday by his pastor -- we found that,” Suthard said.

According to the Fire Marshal’s office, the blaze was caused by decorative holiday lights that were installed outside the home. Investigators were combing through the debris and putting out hot spots throughout the morning.

Homes on either side of the house were also damaged from the heat.

Investigators said the home, as well as the three vehicles in the driveway, were a total loss.

The couple lost nearly everything in the fire and a GoFundMe page has been set for those who may want to help.

Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.

(WATCH BELOW: Massive Fire Destroys QVC Distribution Center)