WINSTON-SALEM — As COVID-19 cases continue to rise, Novant Health has adjusted its visitor policy Friday.
Starting Aug. 24, all patients except those with COVID-19 or who have been exposed to the virus, may have one overnight visitor.
If a patient does not have COVID-19 or is at risk of exposure, visitors are allowed per the department-specific guidelines if they meet the following:
- Be healthy, with no symptoms of COVID-19.
- Pass a COVID-19 screening.
- Properly wear a mask at all times.
- Be 12 years or older, unless their situation meets a specific exception.
Each Novant Health department and facility has its own guidelines on how many visitors a patient can have. The above policies coincide with the department’s guidelines.
- No visitors are permitted in the emergency department waiting room with adult patients unless the patient is over 65 or is clearly in need of a support person. One visitor will be permitted once the patient is in a treatment room.
- Inpatient, critical care, neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and pediatric patients are each allowed two visitors per day; visitors must be the same two people per day.
- Obstetric and labor and delivery patients are allowed one support person for the entire stay. These patients may also have a certified doula in addition to the one support person.
According to Novant, if a patient does have COVID-19 or may have been exposed, no visitors will be allowed unless the patient is:
- At the end of life.
- An obstetric patient.
- A minor or an adult with a mental disability.
- Unable to make and communicate their own healthcare decisions.
- In need of caregiver support for mobility, impaired memory, altered mental status, developmental delays, hearing impairment, or native language translation.
- Eligible for a visitor based on a special exception reviewed by their treating provider.
For more information about Novant Health’s visitor restrictions, click here.
(Watch Below: CDC recommends vaccinated people wear masks in areas of ‘high transmission’)
©2021 Cox Media Group