Home Depot has agreed to pay out millions for allegedly selling recalled items.
The home improvement store isn’t admitting wrongdoing, but says it will pay $5.7 million in a federal civil penalty.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the company sold more than 2,800 products it shouldn’t have from 2012 to 2016, and that some of these items were fire, shock or cutting dangers.
The recalled products sold are:
- HeathCo Motion Activated Outdoor Lights, recalled on July 26, 2012;
- Legrand Under Cabinet Power and Light Strips, recalled on Sept. 6, 2012, and expanded on May 15, 2014;
- LG Electronics Electric Ranges, recalled on Nov. 8, 2012;
- Pramac America LLC Powermate Portable Generators, recalled on Nov. 13, 2012;
- Wing Enterprises Stepladders, recalled on Dec. 11, 2012;
- LG Electronics, Inc., Top Loading Washers, recalled on Dec. 18, 2012;
- CE Tech Riser Cables, recalled on April 9, 2013;
- Nourison Rugs, recalled on May 23, 2013;
- Soleil Portable Heaters, recalled on July 25, 2013;
- Gree Dehumidifiers, recalled on Sept. 12, 2013, expanded in Jan. 2014, and reannounced in May 2014;
- HeathCo Motion-Activated Outdoor Lights, recalled on Oct. 30, 2013;
- RSI Bathroom Medicine Cabinets, recalled on Jan. 16, 2014;
- HDX/Powermate Two-Gallon Air Compressors, recalled on Feb. 12, 2014;
- Genie Garage Door Openers, recalled on Feb. 25, 2014;
- Dyson Bladeless Portable Heaters, recalled on April 1, 2014;
- Nest Labs Smoke/CO Alarms, recalled on May 21, 2014;
- Cordelia Shop Lights, recalled on May 22, 2014;
- Lithonia Quantum® ELM and ELM2 Two-Light Emergency Light Fixtures, recalled on May 28, 2014;
- Harris Products Group Welding Torches, recalled on July 31, 2014;
- Vornado Air Electric Space Heaters, recalled on Aug. 14, 2014;
- Kidde Smoke/Co Alarms, recalled on Sept. 11, 2014;
- Fiskars Bypass Loppers, recalled on Oct. 8, 2014;
- Mohawk Home Rugs, recalled on Nov. 19, 2014;
- Kidde Fire Extinguishers, recalled on Feb. 12, 2015;
- Westinghouse Lighting Glass Shade Holders, recalled on March 12, 2015;
- Husky Vertical Bike Hooks, recalled on April 15, 2015;
- Homelite Blower Vacuums, recalled on April 16, 2015;
- Gerber Cohort Folding Knives, recalled on May 26, 2015;
- Technical Consumer Products LED Down Light Fixtures, recalled on Sept. 8, 2015;
- Philips Lighting Halogen Flood Lights, recalled on September 10, 2015;
- Lota Touchless Single-Handle, Pull-Down Sprayer Faucets, recalled on Sept. 10, 2015;
- Bosch Slim Grinders, recalled on May 11, 2016; and
- Honda Mini Tillers, recalled on May 25, 2016.
A spokesperson from Home Deport sent Channel 9 this statement:
"We appreciate the seriousness of the matter, which is why we proactively alerted the CPSC to the problem."
"We fixed a process glitch that allowed a relatively small number of recalled products to be sold through various channels (salvage, some through a point of sale system used for special orders, and there were some product donations)."
"In fact, only 2,800 sales were made out of more than more than 5 billion transactions over the four year period. None resulted in injuries."
© 2019 Cox Media Group.