CHARLOTTE — Customers accused Randy Briel and Glenn Dunnam of taking money and not doing the work.
So, Attorney General Josh Stein's office built a case against the two men, and a judge banned them from working as contractors in the state.
They also must pay $130,000 in civil penalties to the state and $202,546 in restitution to about 30 victims who complained to Stein's office.
"These guys can no longer present themselves as contractors,” Stein said. “They can't advertise. They can't take, do work. They can't take payments. They're out of business in this area."
Briel has served time for financial crimes for obtaining property by false pretenses in North Carolina and was released in 2011. In South Carolina, he served time for breach of trust and got out in2012.
- More complaints against contractor
- Attorney general sues contractor after repeated customer complaints
- Action 9: Contractor with past problems surfaces again
- ACTION 9: Contractor with more than 100 Better Business Bureau
- BBB releases Dirty Half Dozen local businesses
- BBB releases ‘Dirty Dozen’ list with most unresolved complaint
Action 9's been investigating customer complaints against Briel since that time.
There have been more complaints to Action 9 about him than any other contractor since 2013.
The Better Business Bureau said Briel changed business names more than 25 times over the years, which made it harder for customers to research him before they hired him.
The last time Action 9 spoke with Briel was in 2018 when he said he was out of the business.
Briel also said he was working for his brother, but didn’t answer any more of Action 9’s questions.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 2 middle school teachers, 1 other charged with sex offenses against minor
- Investigators identify victim in deadly ammonia leak at Iredell County warehouse
- 'It’s catastrophic’: EF-2 tornado hits high school as strong winds, heavy rain rip through Carolinas
- FORECAST: Showers, warm temps Monday preview wet workweek ahead
- Police identify man, woman found shot to death in SUV down north Charlotte embankment
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group