GASTON COUNTY, N.C. — Widespread flooding across the southern, central and eastern parts of North Carolina forced the closure of most of I-95 in the state.
That stretch of interstate is from Halifax County to Robeson County.
“At this time no safe, stable or reliable route exists for the public to get to and from Wilmington,” the North Carolina Department of Transportation said on its website.
I-95 Southbound traffic from Virginia should use US-64 West (Exit 138) to I-540 West to I-40 West in Hickory to US-321 South to I-85 South in Gaston and Cleveland counties.
Follow directions in South Carolina to re-access I-95.
“Due to flooding motorists should not travel in areas south of US-264 and east of I-73/I-74,” NCDOT said.
- 180-mile detour from Halifax County to Hickory.
- 53 miles from Hickory to South Carolina border.
- Total possible detour time: At least 8 hours.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 3 suspects arrested after man, woman shot outside York Co. apartment complex
- MAJOR DETOUR: Travel not advised in southeastern, south central NC
- North Carolina man arrested after posting threat to school
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Wednesday forecast outlook
- FLORENCE AFTERMATH: 2 die in rising flood waters that overtook a van in SC
Cox Media Group