CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A 35-year-old man has been arrested for a series of armed robberies and assaults at Charlotte businesses.
In one case, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said Sidney Wayne Williams assaulted someone along a Dilworth neighborhood street.
Williams is connected to nine robberies, police said.
Detectives charged Williams with five counts of common law robbery, two counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of felony conspiracy, attempted common law robbery, assault on a female and misdemeanor larceny and resisting arrest.
Williams is in custody.
CMPD provided the following information on the robberies and assaults:
- Aug. 18 at 11:06 p.m.: Circle K at 7214 The Plaza. Robbery.
- Aug. 19 at 5:44 a.m.: Quik Trip at 5209 Central Ave. Robbery.
- Aug. 19 at 7:23 a.m.: Meacham Street. The suspect assaulted a victim during an attempted robbery. The victim sustained minor injuries.
- Aug. 20 at 6:38 p.m.: Circle K at 7301 The Plaza. Robbery.
- Aug. 20 at 8:50 p.m.: Circle K at 7214 The Plaza. The suspect robbed the business after threatening an employee with a weapon described as a knife.
- Aug. 21 at 1:51 a.m.: Four suspects, two males and two females, robbed the 7-Eleven at 5343 Monroe Road. One suspect assaulted the employee. The employee sustained minor injuries.
- Aug. 21 at 7:53 a.m.: Two male suspects robbed the Circle K at 5018 Sunset Road.
- Aug. 21 at 10:57 a.m.: Circle K at 701 North Graham St. Robbery. Officers located the suspect and after a brief foot chase, apprehended Williams.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
© 2020 Cox Media Group