IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. - A man is dead after a crash involving a tractor-trailer on Interstate 40 in Iredell County Wednesday afternoon, troopers said.
The crash happened in I-40 west between mile markers 156 and 155 around 2:20 p.m.
Officials said westbound traffic was stopped due to a brush fire on the side of the interstate when a tractor-trailer tried to swerve and miss the stopped traffic. The tractor-trailer ended up colliding with a Lexus and a Chevrolet truck.
The Chevrolet truck then was pushed into another tractor-trailer, according to troopers.
The driver of the Lexus, Ward Miller, 65, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The passenger of the Lexus and the driver of the Chevrolet truck were both taken to a nearby hospital. Their conditions are unknown at this point.
I-40 west was closed for several hours while authorities investigated and crews cleared the road.
This is an ongoing investigation.
No other details have been released.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man killed when speeding car hits power pole, tree, troopers say
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Drivers go around railroad crossing arms in Waxhaw
- Former Wells Fargo employee swindled elderly man out of $800K
- FORECAST: Partly cloudy skies, mild temps but still no rain in sight
- Family says it warned hospital of doctor accused of child sex crimes
© 2019 Cox Media Group.