MATTHEWS, N.C. — The Matthews Police Department will be handing out free steering wheel locks to Hyundai and Kia drivers.
The locks will be available at the front desk of the department Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Owners of Kia and Hyundai cars that were stolen can get settlement funds
- CMPD: Kia, Hyundai thefts up 1,800%; violent crime trends down
- TikTok trend blamed for uptick in car thefts in Charlotte, CMPD says
- Warrant: Teen could be connected to several Kia, Hyundai thefts across Charlotte
- Hyundai rolls out plans to help car owners who became target of thieves
- With Kia thefts increasing in Charlotte, here’s what owners can do
- Man watches his stolen SUV drive through Charlotte erratically on live TV
- Two major insurers refusing to cover older Hyundais and Kias, according to reports
Drivers are asked to bring their vehicle registration when they come to pick up the locks.
Police said 43% of car thefts reported in Matthews this year were Hyundais and Kias.
VIDEO: Owners of Kia and Hyundai cars that were stolen can get settlement funds
©2023 Cox Media Group