CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Mecklenburg County Republican Party is suing county commissioners, saying they violated open meeting laws to pass the new budget.
In a release, Party Chairman Chris Turner said the lawsuit was filed on Tuesday against each of the individual members of the Board of County Commissioners alleging the budget was passed by violating North Carolina's open meetings law.
The party said because of that, the budget should be considered "null and void."
"The blatant violations of the County Commission in having back room discussion must be addressed and the Mecklenburg County Republican Party will make sure that the proper public comment and input is had before the County raises taxes on their citizens," Turner said.
Last month, Commissioner Pat Cotham raised concerns after Chairman George Dunlap used his personal email to talk about proposed budget changes.
Dunlap said everything was done in good faith.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman killed, man survives after explosion levels $1.2 million Ballantyne home
- NC closes daycare where worker accused of dropping infant on purpose
- CMS teacher accused of being combative during DWI arrest resigns
- FORECAST: Air quality concerns ahead of possible Fourth of July storms
- Former NFL quarterback shot by girlfriend's ex, Concord police say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.