MOORESVILLE, N.C. — A 12-year-old boy is recovering in the hospital after paramedics said a venomous snake bit him Monday afternoon.
Authorities said the boy was bit on his hand while hanging out at the neighborhood dock near Catalina Drive in Mooresville.
He said he was digging for worms when he felt the bite and described the snake as small and brown.
The boy was rushed to Lake Norman Regional with non-life threatening injuries.
A neighbor told Channel 9 she will be much more aware of what's crawling on the ground after the incident.
“It eases my mind that he is going to be OK but also, we are going to be a lot more aware now and make sure that the kids know what to do if something like that happens,” said Torie Mathis.
Officials believe the snake was venomous and the boy was kept in the hospital overnight to be monitored.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Mooresville boy digging for worms bit by venomous snake
- Police were warned before 2 children found alone in Charlotte, woman says
- Copperhead in tree bites Lowe's employee in gardening department
- Mother of 1-year-old burned in explosion speaks about girl's recovery
- Patron held gunman down after shooting near popular uptown bar, police say
Cox Media Group