Local

Fights at Julius Chambers HS draw police response, prompt lockdown

CHARLOTTE — A modified lockdown was issued after several fights broke out Wednesday morning at a University-area high school, police said.

Just before 11 a.m., Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers were called to Julius Chambers High School after fights broke out among students.

Officers at the scene told Channel 9 they were responding to a couple of fights. They said some of those involved suffered minor injuries and would be OK.

MEDIC also responded to the school to evaluate any patients.

Channel 9 reached out to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools for comment, and CMS officials provided the following message that was sent to parents:

“Good morning, Chambers families,

“This is Principal Turner calling with an important message. A fight among multiple students occurred this morning on campus. Law enforcement was called to ensure the safety and security of our students and staff. This is unacceptable behavior and a violation of the CMS Code of Student Conduct. Students who violate the code will be disciplined accordingly. As a precaution, we will be on a modified lockdown for the remainder of the day.

“Your child’s safety is my first priority as principal, and I am committed to providing a safe and positive high school experience for all our students. Thank you to our students and parents who partner with us to make Chambers a great place to work and learn.”

Police did not say if anyone would be charged or arrested in connection to the incident.

Violence in school is not a new problem for CMS. Less than 24 hours earlier, a gun was found at Harding High School after a fight. Two juveniles were arrested in connection to the incident.

Just over a week prior to the fight at Julius Chambers, a fight at East Meck High and the discovery of a knife inside a student’s backpack caused a student to need stitches on his head where he had been cut.

And before the East Meck fight, several fights at Mallard Creek High triggered a lockdown at the school. The violence resulted in CMPD charging 17 students.

(WATCH: Michigan school shooting leaves 3 students dead, 8 people injured; 15-year-old suspect in custody)