ORANGE COUNTY, N.C. - A North Carolina man said he shot and killed a coyote after it came dangerously close to his 6-year-old daughter and dog.
Ian Vigus said that shortly after he came home from work in Orange County, he heard his dog barking near where his daughter was playing.
Vigus said his dog was spooked by a coyote, so he took both the dog and his daughter inside and grabbed his rifle.
“As he started to lope off, I shot him and killed him,” Vigus said. “I just wanted to protect my family and protect my livestock.”
Orange County officials said there have been several recent reports of coyotes in the area.
Earlier this week in Huntersville, a family came face-to-face with a coyote that officials said was rabid.
In a video that the Schroter family recorded of the encounter, the coyote can be seen snarling at them.
This weekend, North Carolina will hold a statewide coyote hunt to thin the growing population.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Father charged after 2-year-old girl found dead day after Halloween
- Man, girlfriend, mother accused of beating elderly neighbor with baseball bat
- Teen victim, witness in rape trial found dead
- WATCH: Keith Monday’s Monday forecast outlook
- Impaired driver charged in crash that killed 2 on I-77, troopers say
© 2018 Cox Media Group.