RALEIGH, N.C. — A North Carolina woman will spend an extra 20 years behind bars for trying to feed her husband's ex-girlfriend to alligators.
Amanda Hayes and her husband, Grant Ruffin Hayes III, were convicted of killing and dismembering 27-year-old Laura Ackerson more than three years ago in Raleigh after a long custody dispute over Grant’s two oldest children.
Prosecutors said Ackerson’s body was cut up with a power saw and driven to Amanda’s sister’s house in Texas.
According to prosecutors, new details show that Amanda tried to dissolve Ackerson’s remains with acid before dumping them into an alligator-infested creek.
Last week, Amanda was convicted of tampering with evidence and sentenced to an additional 20-year sentence on top of her life sentence in North Carolina.
Grant was sentenced to 13-16 years in prison.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Watch your mouth: Profanity could cost you $500 in Myrtle Beach
- NC woman fed husband's ex to gators, dissolved body in acid, prosecutors say
- Body left to rot in SC funeral home for 3 years leads to charges
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- VIDEO: Man breaks into storage units, steals $500,000 in items
Cox Media Group