INDIAN LAND, S.C. — A second-grader died Wednesday after injuries from a collision between his bike and a car.
The accident happened Tuesday night off Glen Laurel Drive. Eyewitness News is not reporting the name of the victim at the request of his mother.
School officials at Harrisburg Elementary sent out a letter and made calls to parents Wednesday. The school is allowing parents to speak with their own children about the tragic situation.
Highway Patrol said the boy biked through a stop sign and struck the corner of a Honda Accord just after 6 p.m. on Glen Laurel Drive at Mercer Street.
The boy was not wearing a helmet, according to officials.
The boy's mother told Eyewitness News that the family had moved to the neighborhood 6 months ago. She said her son was "kind-hearted" and loved electronics and the game Minesweeper.
School officials said grief counselors will be at the school Thursday for students having a difficult time handling the news.
Harrisburg Elementary principal Steven Puckett sent the following statement to families:
Read more top trending stories on
- Pageland officers quit in protest of police chief's reinstatement
- Police: All 3 Gaston County murder victims found naked, shot
- Judge finds Piper Glen squatter guilty
- West Meck students mourning 15-year-old classmate killed in crash
- Witness video purportedly shows CMPD officer repeatedly punching man
Cox Media Group