MECKLENBURG COUNTY, N.C. - A letter that appears to come from the Mecklenburg County Courthouse has recently shown up in mailboxes in neighborhoods in Huntersville.
The State Bureau of Investigation is warning people about fake letters going around that say people need to pay up or face penalties.
The letter claiming to be from the courthouse says people owe money for an income tax debt. If you don’t call the listed number and pay in full, it says your bank account and assets could be seized.
The Mecklenburg County Clerk of Superior Court’s Office became aware of the scheme when it received two of the letters.
The post office brought them to the courthouse as returned undeliverable mail.
Channel 9 checked with the SBI and Huntersville police, who said they haven't had any reports of anyone actually sending money.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'It's about privilege': Sheriff confronts Cornelius leaders over speeding tickets
- 2 charged after dangerous police chase through rush hour traffic
- Armored truck crashes into Long Creek in northwest Charlotte
- FORECAST: Chilly and cloudy, but dry, first day of spring
- Driver killed after crossing centerline, colliding with fire truck, officials say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.