CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Troopers had to block the outer loop of Interstate 485 near Mint Hill early Wednesday morning after a dump truck crashed on its side, spilling its load across the roadway.
The crash happened around 7:30 a.m. in the outer loop lanes at Exit 43, near Lawyers Road.
A photo from a Channel 9 viewer shows the truck on its side, and the lanes blocked. Backups along the outer loop were stretching for miles.
MEDIC said one person was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
It was still unclear what caused the crash.
Department of Transportation officials said the truck spilled roughly 10 tons of sand and it would take until at least 1 p.m. to reopen the interstate.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Coroner IDs 19-year-old woman shot, killed at popular Peach Stand
- Dump truck overturns, spills 10 tons of sand on I-485 outer loop
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- Driver not charged after SUV hits, kills woman in north Charlotte
- Pastor removed as CMS board OKs controversial gender policy change
Cox Media Group