CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A man is dead after being hit by a car early Saturday morning on Interstate 277 in Charlotte, police said.
The crash that happened around 2:30 a.m. and had part of the I-277 outer loop blocked from Graham Street all the way to Interstate 77.
When officers got to the scene, they found a Toyota Camry with heavy front-end damage and 25-year-old Deonte Wilkins unresponsive in the roadway.
Wilkins was confirmed dead and the driver, 30-year-old Tucker Rhodes, remained at the scene after the crash.
Police said Wilkins was crossing the Brookshire Freeway in a poorly lit area and Rhodes was unable to avoid hitting him.
After interviewing with police, authorities said Rhodes was arrested and charged with DWI.
Excessive speed does not appear to be a contributing factor to the crash.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Driver intentionally hit, killed 79-year-old woman at Matthews grocery store, police say
- FOUND SAFE: Missing 2-year-old last seen outside apartments has been located and is safe
- Person dead after being hit by car in Charlotte; I-277 blocked, police say
- 'He was not evil': Family sheds light on why man left bodies of mom, aunt in home for years
- North Carolina woman creates driveway art with pressure washer
Cox Media Group