Driver charged with death of 6-year-old son in Myers Park crash faces judge

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The driver of a car that crashed through a fence and hit a tree in Myers Park Friday morning is charged for the death of the passenger in his car, a 6-year-old boy.

Police were called to the crash just before 8 a.m. on Rockbrook Road near Runnymede Lane. The road was closed between Sharon Road and Colony Road for hours while police investigated.

Officials said the car, a white 4-door Cadillac ATS, struck a curb and ran off the road before smashing through a fence and hitting a large tree, landing in a tiny creek in the woods of someone’s backyard.

They were rushing to get to Billingsville Elementary School.

Chopper 9 Skyzoom flew over the scene and could see the badly damaged Cadillac.

The driver, Anthony Bailey, 24, is charged with involuntary manslaughter, reckless driving and no operator’s license.

Bailey suffered minor injuries and was taken to a hospital, according to police.

His son, 6-year-old Kiyan, was also rushed to the hospital, where he died.

Anthony Bailey


Investigators said neither person was wearing a seat belt. Police said the boy should have been in a child car seat based on his age and weight.

Detectives said both speed and inattention appeared to be factors in the crash.

Bailey said he plans to hire an attorney and did not comment Monday morning in court.

His friend said they believe there was a mechanical issue with the car.

Channel 9’s Gina Esposito spoke with the homeowner who said first responders were at the scene within minutes of the crash.

Firefighters had to knock down another portion of the fence in order to get to the two people inside the car.

"Basically, it's in somebody’s backyard from the fence, there’s a big line of fence out there," neighbor Gino Godbout said. "Not too many skid marks, so they were rolling pretty good."

Officials spent hours collecting evidence from the vehicle and the surrounding crash scene.

Crews towed the car around 11 a.m.

Kiyan's funeral will be on Saturday.

Bailey was served with the warrants when he was released from the hospital. His first court appearance was Monday.

Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.