Plane that crashed with Earnhardt Jr., family on board brought to Georgia

ATLANTA — The plane that crashed Thursday in Tennessee which was carrying NASCAR great Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his family is now in Georgia as the National Transportation Safety Board continues its investigation into the incident.

Authorities said the plane bounced multiple times during the crash landing and veered off the runway before ending up on a highway Thursday afternoon.

[VIDEO: Plane was on fire when Earnhardt Jr., family escaped crash]

"It's just the grace of the good Lord that a vehicle didn't get struck by the plane," Elizabethton Police Chief Jason Shaw said at a news conference. "It's a very heavily trafficked roadway."

Atlanta Air Recovery & Storage from Griffin brought the plane back to Georgia so the NTSB could continue its investigation into the crash.

Earnhardt's sister, Kelley Earnhardt Miller, said in a statement that all five people aboard the plane Thursday are "doing well." Earnhardt, now a NASCAR television analyst, was taken to a hospital for evaluation Thursday and released later that day.

NTSB investigator Ralph Hicks said the Cessna Citation Latitude had left Statesville about 20 minutes before the crash at 3:40 p.m. Earnhardt was with his wife, Amy, 15-month-old daughter, Isla, two pilots and a dog.

[PHOTOS: Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s plane crashes in Tennessee]

Hicks said investigators have obtained video footage.

"The airplane basically bounced at least twice before coming down hard on the right main landing gear," he said. "You can actually see the right main landing gear collapsing on the video. The airplane continued down the runway, off to the end, through a fence and came to a stop behind me here on Highway 91."

Federal Aviation Administration officials had said the plane caught fire after landing. Hicks said everyone aboard was able to evacuate through aircraft doors.

"As bad as this accident was, there's a lot of good things that happened," Elizabethton Mayor Curt Alexander said. "One being that everyone walked away. The second being at 3:40 in the afternoon, after school had just let out a couple of miles up the road, there were no cars involved in this accident."

Hicks said investigators have spoken with the Earnhardt family and the two pilots and all gave accounts consistent with what was seen on video. Hicks expects investigators to release a preliminary report in about seven days that will provide basic facts but no conclusions about the cause. He said the cockpit voice recorder will be sent to the NTSB's Washington headquarters.

Earnhardt's sister said the family is assisting FAA and NTSB officials.

"We want to reiterate our appreciation to the NASCAR community, first responders, medical staff and race fans everywhere for the overwhelming support in the last 24 hours," she said.

Earnhardt retired as a full-time racer in 2017. He was to have been part of NBC's broadcast team for Saturday night's Cup Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway but took the weekend off to be with his family.