Murder arrest made after Hickory woman found burned outside her home

HICKORY, N.C. — Police have announced an arrest after a woman was attacked outside of her home and set on fire Wednesday morning in Hickory.

Authorities told Channel 9 that they arrested Glen McQuay Jr., 54, late Wednesday, and charged him with the murder of Stephanie Harvey.


Police said Harvey was killed as she arrived home in the Ridgeview community just after 8 a.m. Wednesday.

Police said they believe the attack happened shortly after Harvey got out of her SUV.

A neighbor told Channel 9 that just before the attack, Harvey was on the phone with the female tenant who lived with her.

"They were on the phone just talking and she said she heard her start screaming and hollering and then that was it. And so she came home to check on her and found her," according to neighbor Diamond Jenkins.

Police arrived on the scene a short time later and discovered the 50-year-old Harvey lying in the grass next to her driveway.

Investigators said Harvey appeared to have suffered severe burns to her upper body and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police used an arson dog to try and detect whether McQuay used an accelerate to start the fire.

"She should still be alive with her family," friend Montreal Wilson said. "Her two daughters and her son. They should be having dinner right now."

Authorities said the case is being investigated as a possible domestic homicide. They have not revealed any details of a relationship between the two. McQuay's attorney could not answer questions about evidence of the case but did said McQuay may have been off his medications.

"He does seem a little confused about things. He does. He says he was interrogated for a number of hours.  So he does seem to be a little confused or clueless," attorney Vicki Jayne said.

The neighborhood was stunned to learn of the shocking attack.

"Right now I don't have any feelings. I'm kind of numb with it right now," said Pamela Williams.

She lives directly across the street from Harvey but didn't see or hear the attack.

Another neighbor said Harvey has been in that home about a year and was a single mom with three children, including a son in high school.

Those neighbors said Harvey worked as a nurse in the area.

"I think it's sad and it hits so close to home," Diamond Jenkins said.

Jenkins said she spoke with Harvey all the time while visiting her mom in the neighborhood.

"It makes me worried about my mom and it's just sad, I pray God will be with the policemen and let them get through this and solve and find out what went on," Jenkins said.

McQuay is currently being held without bond.

Police are working closely with the SBI and have sent off several pieces of evidence to the state lab for testing.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: