BELMONT, N.C. - Police issued arrest warrants for a man and a woman believed to be connected to the murder of a woman in Gaston County. On Wednesday, the two were arrested at a home on Old Carolina Mining Road outside of Stanley. Nearby East Gaston High School was placed on a temporary perimeter lockdown as a precaution.
Officials said they are investigating the case as a homicide after the body of a 61-year-old Delia Rick was found inside a submerged car May 5 in Lake Wylie, off South Hope Road at the Seven Oaks Bridge.
Authorities said they initially believed Rick drowned in an accident, but have since determined that she had been murdered.
Rick recently served two years in prison for helping clean up a murder scene, but detectives do not know if that played a role in her death.
Authorities said arrest warrants were issued for 48-year-old James Michael Rick after an investigation by Belmont police and Gaston County police.
He was charged with first-degree murder.
(James Rick, left, Melinda Robinson, right)
Gaston County police also arrested 51-year-old Melinda Kay Robinson and charged her with accessory after the fact to first-degree murder.
The lockdown at the school was lifted after the arrests were made.
Call the police at 704-829-4082 if you have information.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police investigating after person shot multiple times near southwest Charlotte motel
- 'Bathroom bill' sponsor Bishop wins District 9 GOP primary
- 1 airlifted, 17 injured after bus carrying preschoolers overturns in Stanly Co.
- FORECAST: Another clear, sunny day in the 70s on tap for the Charlotte area
- NC high schools sell bracelets to raise money for 'Riley Howell Foundation'
© 2019 Cox Media Group.