SALISBURY, N.C. — Authorities are searching for a man who they said was involved Tuesday in a chase that involved a golf cart in Rowan County.
Dispatchers said it started as a traffic stop that turned into a jump-and-run near the Rolling Hills Golf Club on Par Drive in Salisbury.
They said the man ran onto the golf course and somehow got control of a golf cart. Channel 9 spoke to the golfer who said he was teeing off when the man took off with his golf cart and clubs.
"I saw the county officer chasing him, I got out of the way," said the golfer.
"(A) guy inside the clubhouse told me the fellow was playing golf and got off to hit his shot and the other guy hopped into the golf cart and took off with it," said golf course manager Derek Lipe.
Police said the golf cart was found a mile away on Ludwick Heights.
Officers are set up a perimeter around the area. The North Carolina State Highway Patrol helped in the search.
Authorities have not said why officers stopped the driver or whether that man was armed. Officials are still searching for the suspect as of Tuesday night.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- North Carolina teen missing for 5 years found alive in Ohio
- Gaston Co. high school teacher accused of sex with student
- Bus driver gives cold, crying student hat, gloves
- Police bust alleged drug trafficker in Huntersville neighborhood
- Traps set as feral cat problem plagues Harrisburg neighborhood
Cox Media Group