IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. — The North Carolina State Highway Patrol is investigating after a two-car fatal crash in Iredell County overnight Sunday.
The crash happened just before 1:30 a.m. Sunday on southbound Interstate 77 near mile marker 47.
Troopers said the crash was a head-on collision after one of the drivers was traveling in the wrong direction.
Kathryn Oshaughnessy, 23, of Statesville was driving the wrong way when her vehicle struck another driven by Randy Patton, 53, of Charlotte, officials said.
Both drivers were pronounced dead at the scene, officials said.
They were wearing seatbelts.
A passenger was transported to the hospital with serious injuries and then, airlifted by helicopter to CMC. Authorities said as of 5 a.m., the passenger was in stable condition.
Officials said the crash is still under investigation and it is unknown if alcohol was involved.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- TRACKING MICHAEL: Tropical storm packing 70 mph winds, could impact Carolinas
- Convicted killer, former Navy sailor up for 20th parole bid in slaying of SC teens
- INCREDIBLE VIDEO: Flames rip through Mount Holly home
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- Troopers ID drivers killed in head-on collision in Iredell County
Cox Media Group