CHARLOTTE, N.C. — UNC Charlotte Chancellor Dr. Philip Dubois and Director of Athletics Judy Rose announced Thursday that they released head men’s basketball coach Mark Price from his contract, effective immediately.
The reason for the sudden release in mid-season was not given.
"We appreciate all that coach Price has done for our program," Rose said. "His background and knowledge were assets to our young players and we appreciate him sharing his talents with our team. This was a difficult decision, especially as we make plans to open conference play, but we do feel it is in the best interest of our basketball program."
Price has a 30-42 record, including a 16-20 mark in Conference USA play. Price joined the 49ers in 2015-16 and compiled a 14-19 record that included a 9-9 mark in league play. Last year, Charlotte went 13-17 with a 7-11 league record. This year, Charlotte is 3-6 and has not started league play.
UNC Charlotte’s assistant coach, Houston Fancher, will serve as interim head coach.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com
- Millions of identities stolen, used to write fake comments on government website
- Large Confederate flag flying in Catawba Co. stirs up controversy
- Man accused of embezzling $26K from Gastonia Wild Wings Café
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Busted water main to close part of busy Myers Park road for hours
- Firefighters investigating fatal mobile home fire in Catawba County
Cox Media Group