OAK ISLAND, N.C. - A 5 to 6-foot gator was spotted chilling out in the surf Monday afternoon on Oak Island.
Kathy Sykes pulled her phone out and recorded the gator at about 12:30 p.m. as it gracefully pushed through the crashing waves.
There are a couple of small marsh ponds on the other side of the dunes and Sykes told Channel 9 that occasionally gators will cross over to rid themselves of parasites and to get away from the biting flies, midges and mosquitoes.
(CREDIT: Kathy Sykes)
She said, however, the gator she watched Monday might have been run out of its territory by a larger one, or possibly a female protecting her eggs since it is mating season for the animals.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Chester County sheriff, chief deputy, lieutenant indicted on federal charges
- Man surrenders, taken into custody after SWAT standoff in Clover
- Funeral arrangements announced for beloved Mooresville police officer
- Problems foam over at inaugural Untappd Beer Fest at BofA Stadium
- 2 men accused of being drunk, assaulting people at Charlotte airport
© 2019 Cox Media Group.