CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police had to close a section of Sardis Road in southeast Charlotte Monday morning because of a water main break which may have also created a sinkhole.
Sardis Road between Brackenbury Lane and Morning Dale Road is blocked, and authorities said drivers should use Monroe Road as an alternate route.
Officials with Charlotte Water expected the road to be closed until at least 5 p.m. At 3:40 p.m., Charlotte Water tweeted it will be another eight hours before repairs are complete.
The road reopened at 11 p.m.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- More 'technical issues' leave passengers in limbo at Charlotte Douglas
- Family members find woman dead inside rural Burke County home
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Crash blocks northbound lanes of I-77 near Rock Hill
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Code Orange Alert forecast
- Man critically injured in shooting at north Charlotte Days Inn
© 2018 Cox Media Group.