CHARLOTTE, N.C. — State troopers have charged a woman they said was intoxicated while driving an SUV when she caused a wreck that ended with a tractor-trailer on its side overnight on Interstate 85.
The crash happened around 12:30 a.m. in the southbound lanes of I-85, near Beatties Ford Road.
Investigators told Channel 9 that the driver of a SUV, Winnie Shurlow, was reportedly intoxicated and did not stay in her lane. A tandem tractor-trailer hit her vehicle and the SUV became stuck beneath it before the 18-wheeler hit a concrete barrier and tipped on its side, sending concrete across the interstate.
Paramedics said three people were taken to the hospital; one of them with serious injuries.
Shurlow has been charged with DWI, open container and reckless driving.
Three southbound lanes of I-85 between Beatties Ford Road and the Brookshire Freeway were closed for hours as crews worked to right the tractor-trailer, which was hauling sporting goods, and tow it away.
Troopers reopened the interstate by 7 a.m.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Inmate shoots, kills 2 correctional officers, escapes in Georgia
- Kevin Durant named Finals MVP, leads Warriors to NBA title
- Man found shot to death inside car in northwest Charlotte
- RAW VIDEO: Steph Curry's Finals postgame press conference
- Woman charged with DWI after tractor-trailer overturns on I-85
- WATCH: Christine Rapp's Tuesday forecast outlook
Cox Media Group