CHARLOTTE, N.C. - More than 4,000 runners are expected to participate in “Around the Crown,” which is a 10K, 6.2-mile race that will be held Sunday, Sept. 1.
The course will take runners along Charlotte city streets and the inner loop of Interstate 277, offering a unique perspective of seeing the uptown area on foot and not behind the wheel.
The inner loop will be closed to vehicle traffic during the race as will several uptown roadways.
The major closures include:
- Inner I-277: Closes at 2 a.m. and reopens at noon
- Mint Street (W. 4th St. to W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.): Closes at 3 a.m. and reopens at 10 a.m.
The major detours during the race include:
- I-77 South (Exit 11A): Closed during inner I-277 closure
- I-77 North (Exit 11A): Closed during Inner I-277 closure
- East Brookshire Freeway (Exit 5A – last exit): No access to Inner I-277 during closure
- West US-74 (Exit 242 – last exit): No access to Inner I-277 during closure
These streets will be on a rolling closure as runners pass through the course from 6:30 a.m. until 8:45 a.m.:
- S. Mint Street – Romare Bearden Park to W. Carson Blvd. (all lanes)
- W. Carson Boulevard – Mint St. to N. Church St. (westbound lanes)
- S. Church Street – W. Carson Blvd. to Hill St. (all lanes)
- N. Church Street – W. 11th St. to W. 6th St. (one lane)
- W. 6th Street – N. Church St. to W. 5th St. (one lane)
- W. 5th Street – W. 6th St. to Irwin Ave. (one lane)
- Irwin Avenue – W. 5th St. to Trade St. (one lane)
- Johnson and Wales Way – Trade St. to W. 4th St. (one lane)
- W. 4th Street – Johnson and Wales Way to S. Graham St. (one lane)
- S. Graham Street – W. 4th St. to S. Mint St. (one lane)
- S. Mint Street – S. Graham St. to Romare Bearden Park – (one lane after start)
© 2019 Cox Media Group.